Senator Sharon Carson has been in the New Hampshire State Senate since 2008. Before becoming Senator, she served as a Londonderry State Representative from 2000 until 2008. She also served in the US Army and the Army Reserve and retired in 1995 after 17 years of service. Sharon has an A.S. Degree from Mount Wachussetts Community College, as well as a B.A, M.A., and A.B.D from the University of New Hampshire.
Sharon is an Adjunct Professor at Nashua Community college. She has also taught at UNH and UNH-M as an Adjunct Professor after completing her postgraduate studies. She also served on the Rockingham County Delegations’s Executive Committee for two terms and was the Chair of the Registry of Deeds.
Sharon and her husband, Greg, have been married for 37 years and have two daughters, Alicia and Deirdre. They have lived in Londonderry and the State of New Hampshire since 1989. Greg is a New Hampshire native.
Senator Carson has a deep passion for the State that she serves. She loves New Hampshire and its rich history; she will share her knowledge of the early settlers and the stories of Nutfield and Portsmouth. She has a deep respect for the people she serves and will continue to focus all of her attention on serving the people of her district.
While serving as your state Senator for district 14 and a State Representative for Auburn, Hudson, and Londonderry, I’ve had the opportunity to gain a wide range of policy and leadership experience. In the Senate, I serve as a member of Senate leadership as the Majority Whip, as the Chairwoman of the Executive Departments and Administration committee and the Chairwoman of the Judicial committee.
The knowledge I’ve gained as a State Representative and a State Senator has been invaluable, allowing me to better serve my constituents. I have worked on and voted for legislation that has kept out taxes low, improved education, created a healthy business environment, and made New Hampshire’s communities the very best place to live, work and raise a family.
As your state senator, I voted in favor of:
- A balanced, responsible budget that meets the State’s needs without raising taxes
- Rejecting a $129 million tax increase in the Governor’s budget
- Protecting the local fishing industry and protecting and stimulating the growth of farmers
- Allowing towns without a public school to tuition students to private schools
- Increasing support for alcohol and drug treatment and prevention programs
- The 10 year highway plan that will finish I-93 with 4 lanes, pave 550 miles a year, and replace or rehabilitate 80 bridges
- Improving the ability to investigate child abuse and neglect allegations
- Creating a program to divert addicts into treatment rather than prison
I believe that it is important to be involved in our communities. I serve on a number of Boards and Committees.
- Member of Londonderry’s Old Home Day committee
- Member of the Londonderry Grange #44
- Board of Governors, Vesta Roy Women in Government Series
- Senate Representative, State Veterans Advisory Council
- Member, New Hampshire Selective service Board
- Member, Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission
- Member, Council of Advisors, Pro-Gun NH
- Member, Post 27, American Legion
- Board of Trustees, Liberty Harbor Academy
- New Hampshire State Director Women in Government
- Council of State Government Toll Fellow, 2013